The Importance of Emergency Preparedness
lisinopril price rite aid hctz 12 5 lisinopril 20mg link 112 5 mg effexor xr albenza prescription drug It is one of the few universal facts of the human condition. There is no place humans live which is entirely without the threat of natural disaster. Be they floods, hurricanes, tornadoes or any of the other manner of disaster Mother Nature affords, there is simply no place on earth which can stop the worst from happening. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance that you be prepared, so that while you may not be able to openly attack and prevail against the forces of nature, you are able to defend and outlast them.
General Emergency Preparedness
By clicking through this interactive site, you can make sure every essential aspect of your life is safe from harm, or that you will know what to do without it.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
An in-depth guide to citizen preparedness.
- Boy Scouts of America
Learn to master the skills necessary in a natural disaster through the Boy Scouts.
- Family Preparedness Checklist
Make sure your family is prepared for anything.
- Preparedness Fast Facts
The Red Cross gives you the facts about emergency preparedness.
- Ready America
Ready.gov organizes tons of emergency preparedness information in a user-friendly interface.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The CDCs source of information for preparing for and responding to emergencies.
- Emergency Preparedness for the Disabled
Disability.gov gives you tools and resources to help yourself or a disabled person in an emergency.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
OSHA helps make sure national safety and health standards are kept high and are met.
- Public Health Emergency
Emergency Medical and Public Health Support.
- Get a Game Plan
Make sure you have a plan for your family and your business in the event of a hurricane.
- One Storm – Build a Plan
One Storm helps you build a hurricane plan with this interactive site.
- Energy Tomorrow – Energy Company Hurricane Preparation
Learn how America’s natural gas and oil industry is taking strides to protect the environment during a hurricane.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
Whether for farm animals or house pets, learn what the veterinary field does in the event of a natural disaster.
- World Vision – Hurricane Season
Learn about hurricanes in the news, and you can donate to aid victims.
- Hurricane Preparedness for Livestock
Your family is safe, now what about your livelihood?
- Direct Relief International – Emergency Response
Learn how you can help those in need.
- Hurricane Preparedness for your Pets
Guidelines for keeping your house pets safe in a hurricane.
- I Have A Question…
FAQs about hurricanes from the University of Miami.
- The Science of Protection
Current and Emerging Technologies of Hurricane Protection.
- Tornadoes in the Past 48 Hours
A map of the US pinpointing the locations of tornadoes in the past two days.
- The Future of Early Tornado Detection
Using phased-array radar to improve tornado prediction times.
- Tornado Tips and Facts
The United States Search and Rescue Task Force provides information on tornadoes and tornado preparedness.
- The Northeast States Emergency Consortium – Tornadoes
Keeping safe outside Tornado Alley.
- National Atlas – Where Tornadoes Occur
A map and description of when and where tornadoes occur in the Unites States.
- A Tornado Webquest
A virtual field trip for students.
- The Survivors Club – Tornadoes
Advice from survivors of tornadoes.
- Inside Science – Tornado Forecasting
The current state of meteorological tornado prediction.
- Tornado Myths and Facts
Learn the truth about tornadoes… they might save your life.
- Tornado Stories
Tornado survivors in Massachusetts – far from Tornado Alley – share their stories.
- Forces of Nature: Floods
Tips for before, during, and after a flood.
- Don’t Lose All Your Stuff in a Flood
How to prepare your home and belongings.
- Don’t Lose Your Mind in a Flood
How to strengthen your emotional well-being when a flood is imminent.
- Flood Tips
Tips on preparing your home (and your insurance) in the event of a flood.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
Tips, guides, and resources for flood preparation.
- National Flood Insurance Program
Information on the National Flood Insurance Program.
- What about the National Flood Insurance Program?
FAQs about the NFIP from FEMA.
- Flood Information
Eleven facts about floods.
- The Present and Future of Flood Prevention
The US Army Corps of Engineers is making headway toward diminishing the effect and frequency of devastating floods.
- Know Your Flood Vocabulary
A glossary of flood control terms.
- United States Geological Survey
The USGS Earthquake Hazards Program.
- California’s Earthquake Preparedness Tip Sheet
Tips from a state that would know.
- In the News
Director of National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program current state of American preparedness.
- The Library of Congress
The dangers of earthquakes to our nation’s history.
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs
A hearing on what the US can learn from 2010 Chilean and Haitian Earthquakes.
- Dare to Prepare
The Earthquake Country Alliance spreading the word with their readiness campaign.
- Earthquake Readiness
A resource with sections on education, preparing your business, and more.
- Earthquake Facts
The Center for Earthquake Research and Information gives some quick facts about earthquakes.
- Virtual Courseware: Earthquake
An interactive activity designed to show how seismic waves can be used to determine the magnitude of an earthquake.
- Savage Earth – The Restless Planet: Earthquakes
Daniel Pendick at PBS with facts and animations to explain the causes of an earthquake.
- Ada City-County Emergency Management
Providing disaster information & resources.
- Firewise Communities
Encouraging local solutions for wildfire safety.
- Forest Guild
Information on forest ecology, including the dangers of wildfires and benefits of prescribed burns.
- Wildfire Evacuation Tips
Pikes Peak Wildfire Prevention Partners tells you how to evacuate safely, and how to prepare your home in the event of a wildfire.
- United States Department of Agriculture on Fire Prevention
Fire education tools, including a message from Smokey the Bear.
- US Fire Administration on Home Fire Prevention
A variety of resources for the safety-conscious homeowner.
- Home Safety Council
Keeping a safe home begins with the homeowner.
- Fire Safety for Kids
Would your children know what to do in a fire?
- National Fire Prevention Association
The NFPA keeps you up to date with all fire prevention news and events.
Fire prevention tips for adults, kids, and volunteer Fire Service.