There are only 61 Single Family Homes For Sale on Sanibel Island.
I just looked at the MLS, and there are only 61 “active” single-family homes listed for sale on Sanibel right now. That’s the lowest I’ve experienced. To put it in perspective, last year, in January 2020, there were 201 active Sanibel single-family home listings on the market. That’s a HUGE 70% decrease in the inventory of Sanibel single-family homes for sale from this time last year.
So, why am I telling you this? Well, I want to help you achieve your dream of owning a home on Sanibel Island. So, if you’re in the market for a single-family home, it’s important to stay on top of new listings and be ready to act quickly. We can help you with this.
But there’s another opportunity that I want to put in your ear… have you considered purchasing a condo instead? I know, I know, these are two different types of properties and lifestyles, but I want to open your mind to the possibilities.
Pros of Buying a Sanibel Condo (Right Now)
- More condos currently available – 84 active Sanibel condos right now (1/11/21)
- Waterfront views for less! – Click here to see Gulf-front condos under $800k
- Less maintenance – Yard, building, pool maintenance built into condo fee
- Spacious! – Click here to see Sanibel condos for sale with 1,000+ SqFt.
- Amenities! – Pools, beach access, tennis/sports courts, etc.
Addressing Common Condo Concerns
- Storage space – While most condos have pantries and closets inside the unit, some also offer exterior storage closets under the building, which are great for storing bikes, beach chairs, and equipment you don’t want to drag in and out of your unit.
- Parking – Almost every condo on island offers a parking spot for owners. Some also offer parking for guests. Some even have covered parking under the building and/or garages!
- Noise and Renters – Not every Sanibel condo is a large resort complex with nightly/weekly renter changeover. In fact, there are a number of quiet complexes with only a handful of units in the complex, and that only allow monthly rentals.
- Condo Fees – They seem high, but they cover a lot of the other fees you might incur with single-family homes, like budding/structure maintenance, pool upkeep, lawn care, etc. Condo fees also cover the insurance of the exterior of the building (so you only need to insure your contents inside). We discuss condos fees in more detail in our blog linked here.
Sanibel Condo Lifestyle
I mentioned that condo-living is a different lifestyle. In many ways, I’d argue it forces you to enjoy the island more! If the beach was right across the street from me, I’d certainly take more beach walks, or enjoy more spur-of-the-moment sunsets from the sand. I’d probably ride my bike more, chat with my neighbors more, and enjoy the local gulf-side restaurants and bars nearby.
While it’s not for everyone, full-time, seasonal, or even part-time condo living on Sanibel can be a great option for most who are considering single-family homes. Of course, I’m not trying to dissuade you from single-family properties or say that one is better than the other. I just like to present new opportunities and open your mind to the many ways to make Sanibel your home.
If you’d like to chat more, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Email me at email@example.com or call 239-472-1950.